top of page

Our history

The McElderry of McElderry & Morris was John McElderry, a native of Guelph.


After practicing for two years in Toronto, Mr. McElderry opened a law office in Guelph in 1921, eventually settling at the firm’s present location on 84 Woolwich Street. For some time, the second floor of the building was an apartment occupied by Mr. McElderry, which has since been converted into office space for the firm. 


In 1954, Mr. McElderry was joined by Patrick J. Morris, himself a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School.  In 1963, Mr. McElderry and Mr. Morris were joined by Jerry W. Matthews.  Hayes Murphy joined the firm in 1966. After Mr. McElderry passed away in 1973, the firm continued with Mr. Morris, Mr. Murphy and Mr. Matthews. 


Mr. Matthews remained with the firm until his retirement in 1993, with Sergio J. Manera joining the firm the same year.  Sons of Mr. Morris and Mr. Matthews eventually joined the firm as well – current firm members Patrick G. Morris and Gregory G. Matthews. Elliott Braganza started at the firm in 2013. Mr. Murphy retired from the firm in 2018.


In keeping with its tradition, McElderry & Morris serves the southwestern Ontario region by providing comprehensive advice and solutions in:


  • Civil Litigation

  • Family Law

  • Business law

  • Real Estate

  • Wills and Estates

bottom of page